Last month, I dedicated my “Man Crush Monday” to the male cast of the hit Netflix series, 13 Reasons Why. You can find it in the post here. This time around, I thought that it would be fair to feature the female cast of the series, not just for gender equality (half-joking here), but also for the fact that the cast is seriously attractive…you’ll see! 😉
…now on to the cast!
1. Katherine Langford (Hannah Baker). As the titular character, Langford does an incredible job throughout the series. She plays Hannah Baker with a mixture of sultry, mysterious, and tortured—plus, her American accent is absolutely flawless; I wouldn’t have known that she was Australian! Doesn’t hurt that she’s both adorable and poised, all of which contribute to her great performance in the series.
2. Alisha Boe (Jessica Davis). Although I’d written off Boe’s character to be a bitch early on in the episodes, she actually grew on me as the series progressed. If there’s anyone else besides Hannah who was a tortured soul, Jessica would be a close second. It was frightening just how closely her and Hannah’s fates paralleled each other (especially with the rape scenes—spoiler alert!), and Boe plays her character with such maturity and pathos that it hurt to see her carry on throughout the show—well-acted, indeed.
3. Michele Selene Ang (Courtney Crimsen). First things first, I’m not afraid to say that I’m proud of what the series has done with casting people of color, including Asian Americans. Next to Ross Butler (who plays Zach Dempsey), Ang does a great role as the calculative, but insecure Courtney Crimsen. Admittedly, I didn’t like her character at all, but I appreciated how the series brought her story to life, especially dealing with the fact that Crimsen struggles with her sexuality (again, spoiler alert!) which I can imagine many people can relate to, even today.
4. Ajiona Alexus (Sheri Holland). Besides being absolutely gorgeous, Alexus’ character Sheri is such a likable character (one of my favorites, actually) that it hurt to find out that she was also responsible for Hannah’s suicide. I do like the fact that her character was written in a sympathetic light, and I wished that she didn’t have to be part of this dark, complex web of secrets and tapes. Alexus plays her with plenty of bubbly energy and sweet charm, but also knows when to turn on the brooding look.
5. Sosie Bacon (Skye Miller). Although Bacon’s character wasn’t part of the tapes (spoiler alert—the last one, I promise!), I do admit that I kind of liked her part in the series. She played Skye with so much sass that it was almost like comic relief for such a heavy show. Then again, she also had her demons, which made it all the more sympathetic for her, especially in the end.
Let me know who’s your favorite character from “13 Reasons Why.” I’d be interested in knowing! Enjoy your day. 🙂
— The Finicky Cynic
Check me out on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/thefinickycynic